I’m always on the lookout for prototype photographs that capture railway activity from a slightly different perspective, particularly if it might work well as a viewpoint in a slightly unconventional module or cameo.
277 807-4 (KSW 46) of the Kreisbahn Siegen-Wittgenstein passing through Dillbrecht (April 2015) by Johannes Martin Conrad – Own work, CC BY 3.0, View Image
Now I say quick post because a bit of research revealed the site as I initially saw it in Google satellite image no longer exists, so it’s a race against time to try and grab the old satellite imagery before it’s updated.
Luckily the facility itself is not gone but it’s boundaries have been expanded and unfortunately the terminals old gantry crane has been removed so it’s no longer quite as compact or interesting as it once was.
However there are quite a few older photographs of the facility still around on the Internet so let’s take a look at the Südwestfalen container-terminal before the recent renovation work…
I’ll admit that I often get so focused on making super-accurate, perfectly-finished models that after starting a project I get paralysed and end up not finishing or even worse, I won’t even start a project at all.
Whether you suffer from what I call ‘model-makers paralysis’ or not the YouTube videos and forum threads I’ll be highlighting in this post are definitely worth taking a look at as they are full of useful tips and inspirational modelling…
While researching rail-served industries in the United States and Europe I’ve often seen pictures that include interesting looking rail-car movers or shunting tractors like this Mercedes Road Rail UniMog:
For a while I dabbled with the idea of creating a 3D model of one of these units but put the idea on the back-burner because I’d assumed it would be impossible to motorise something as small as a shunting tractor in N scale.
I’ve been a bit quiet about my 3D printed models recently; although I’ve made some progress I’ve also run into some problems which have really slowed me down.
So I thought I’d run through some of the steps I went through while finishing the models I’ve discussed in previous posts, some of the problems I experienced while doing that and what I’ll be doing next…